It’s summer….which means summer vacation for your kiddos. Are you looking for crafts for your kiddos to do? Well this summer I am going to post at least 3 crafts your kiddos can create.
This is a wonderful little project that your kids will get really love. Little ones love discovery, scavenger hunts, and crafts where getting messy is completely allowed. This fun outdoor craft for the kids was put together with those three things in mind. These DIY “Dinosaur Eggs” inspire learning and initiate fun – the perfect summer afternoon craft. You could make a couple yourself and ‘bury’ them a bit in the sandbox or garden and let the children ‘discover’ them. Wouldn’t that be exciting!!!
This craft was created with your little archaeologist in mind, but as you can see, you can substitute dinosaur toys for ‘precious gems’ and other little surprises!
Here’s what you’ll need:
Small plastic dinosaurs, gems, or other small toys.
1. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
2. Slowly add water and knead with your hands until the mixture is like bread dough in texture.
Note: you may need to add more flour to make the dough a little firmer.
3. Place some of the dough in your hand and then lay dinosaur on top.
Cover the dinosaur with the mixture and form into an egg shape, securing the dinosaur inside.
4. For the jewel rocks – Place some of the dough in your hand and lay the gems in the middle. Sprinkle glitter gravel around gem and cover with more of the mixture securing gems inside. You can also sprinkle some glitter on top of the egg for a little more sparkle.
5. Lay “eggs” and “rocks” on a baking sheet to air dry for two to three days or bake in the oven at 150 degrees for 30 – 35 minutes, or until you poke them and they’re no longer soft. Make sure you monitor the eggs while baking.
You can have a “Dinosaur Egg Hunt” by hiding them in a sandbox or around the yard for the kids to find. When they’re found, they can be broken open with your hands, or with parental supervision, a mallet will also work. These also make fun party favors! Wrap them up in clear bags and tie with a ribbon and a cute tag explaining what they are.
The point of this activity is to inspire the kids to play and imagine – so let them have fun with it, and really take the opportunity to soak in these playful moments. After all, they won’t always be entertained by dinosaur eggs hunts and crafting with mom and dad. This is where the sweet memories are made. Enjoy!