My BFF gave me these two outdoor patio chairs and dresser when she moved ;(
The two chairs are rockers also…which I love! There was a lot of rust on the chairs. I first cleaned off the crusty rusty parts, especially around the feet. Rust had collected in seat and backs which have a open- weave- like pattern. This would be the first course of action: Remove the Rust, and to keep it from recurring! (Sometimes this is an easy task, sometimes not so easy, especially if the rust is on thick and crusty. )
To remove the rust, use a wire brush and scrape off what you can. You don’t have to go crazy with this, just the crusty stuff. You can go on to the next step if your surface is smooth.
Next get a can of Rustoleum Stop Rust- Rust Reformer. A layer of this flat-black coating bonds with rusty metal and instantly transforms it into a non-rusting surface. No need to sand down to bare metal, simply spray directly onto rust. You can use indoors or outdoors.
I sprayed the whole rocker, let dry, and repeated 2 more times. Now because the rust reformer is black, I need to spray the whole set with White. I truly believe that a color will pop more over the white, than black.
I then sprayed with the Seaside color…oh I just love this color…and name!
I wanted the bottom of the rockers to be a different color than the rest of the rocker..I liked it better than painting them all the same color. The hardest part, for me, was where the black met the Seaside on the sides. It took a lot ‘love’ to make it look as though the colors began and changed. Be sure to use Painters Tape or Frog Tape for those sharp lines.
then painted a seat in a pretty yellow to go with the chairs….so colorful and looks so great out by the pool. I love how now it is a special seating area…how cute!
Then I brought over the umbrella….and I realized it was the same color as the chairs! I must have a real love for that color!
A friend of mine came over and I grabbed a couple of photos!
If you notice on the little yellow stool is the 3 cans of color I used. Here is what I used for this project: